Wednesday, June 18, 2008

God's Sense of Humor

At about 12:45 we got a call from the operating room that Milan is on the heart and lung machine. Now Dr. Laks can navigate the intracies of his heart with his skilled hands. From what he can see so far, he feels he can repair Milan's valve.

I must say today's lesson is in patience and trust. In a waiting room filled with many eager families, the mix of emotions is palpable. Each time the phone rings, I wait to hear if they yell out a butchered version of the name "Yerkovich." After one phone call, I felt tears welling up in my eyes as the reality of this day hit me. My mom walked me outside and gave me a hug. The cool breeze and her soothing embrace soothed my nerves, breaking the day's clouds like strong beams of light.

Suddenly we heard a voice behind us. "Oh thats so sweet. Women can do that, but men can't. It's a real talent." The voiced continued as if talking on a cell phone, "You gotta see this Joe, it's so beautiful. Oh ya, I'll get those papers to you soon." We turned around, only to find a homeless man comentating our moment of comfort. He sat and talked to himself, his hand clutching not a phone, but a white grocery bag of belongings.

We giggled as he continued to talk on our behalf, "Women can do this. It's so nice," A second later, he walked over, looking at us with light blue eyes behind rough, tan skin. "That was really nice," he said. "She was sad, but you gave her a hug and now she's better."

"You're right," my mom responded. "Comfort is important."

"Oh ya. Most men don't get it, but I do. Women just get it," he muttered as he scuffled away.

We laughed at his comments, but also left endeared with his honesty. God shows even a man on the streets understands the importance of comfort and connection.

1 comment:

Melis said...

We are praying for Milan. Kelly- thank you for blogging and keeping us updated- you write beautifully!! Please keep it coming!